Associate Professor of Finance
Anheuser-Busch Endowed Chair
- Ph.D. Finance, University of Oregon, 2002
- FIN 480, Finance for New Ventures, Fall
- FIN 536, New Venture Finance, Fall
- FIN 620A, Financial Markets and Corporate Finance, Fall
- Corporate Finance
- Corporate Governance
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Entrepreneurial Finance
“Are ex-ante CEO severance pay contracts consistent with efficient contracting?,” with Brian Cadman and John Campbell, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, forthcoming.
“Refinancing risk and cash holdings,” with Jarrad Harford and William Maxwell, Journal of Finance, Vol. 69, No. 3, 2014, 975-1012.
[Lead Article – June Issue]
“Industry concentration and corporate disclosure policy,” with Ashiq Ali and Eric Yeung, Journal of Accounting and Economics, forthcoming.
- Corporate suppliers and customers and accounting conservatism,” with Kai Wai Hui and Eric Yeung, Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol. 53, No. 1, 2012, 115-135.
- Determinants of CEO pay: A comparison of ExecuComp and non-ExecuComp firms,” with Brian Cadman and Steve Matsunaga, Accounting Review, Vol. 85 No. 5, 2010, 1511-1543.
- “The limitations of industry concentration measures constructed with Compustat data: Implications for finance research,” with Ashiq Ali and Eric Yeung, Review of Financial Studies, Vol. 22 No. 10, 2009, 3839-3871.
[Lead Article – October Issue]
- "Do firms have leverage targets? Evidence from acquisitions,” with Jarrad Harford and Nathan Walcott, Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 93 No. 1, 2009, 1-14.
[Lead Article – July Issue]
- "The strategic use of corporate cash holdings in collective bargaining with labor unions,” with William Maxwell and Hernan Ortiz-Molina, Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 92 No. 3, 2009, 421-442.
- "Institutional stakeholdings and better-informed traders at earnings announcements,” with Ashiq Ali and Oliver Zhen Li, Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol. 46 No. 1, 2008, 47-61.
- "The Influence of Product Market Dynamics on the Firm's Cash Holdings and Hedging Behavior," with David Haushalter and William Maxwell, Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 84 No. 3, 2007, 797-825.
- "Why do controlling families of public firms sell their remaining ownership stake?" Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Vol. 42 No. 2, 2007, 339-368.
- "Takeover activity as a response to time-varying changes in investment opportunity sets: Evidence from takeover sequences," with Mike Stegemoller, Financial Management, Vol. 36 No. 2, 2007, 19-43.